Ways to Practice Listening
"You’ve got to know what people want, what they need, and what they are." *
(if you’re going to deal with them effectively.)
From the sharp mind of a highly regarded author who has since passed, Mr. Les Giblin. This book of his, one of the ultimate ones to read regardless of your age or otherwise, has the above truth nugget, plus a list of practical ways to learn, apprentice, and master the art of listening.
1. Look at the person who is talking.
2. Appear deeply interested in what he/she is saying.
3. Lean toward the person who is talking.
4. Ask questions.
5. Don’t interrupt; instead, ask him to tell more.
6. Stick to the speaker’s subject.
7. Use the speaker’s words to get your own point across.
Powerful & insightful, are they not?
I surely have a lot of growing room in this skill yet - what about you? Will you make the decision to become better?